This newsletter is never sent out unsolicited and is only sent to people
who have subscribed. UNSUBSCRIBE
instructions can be found at http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html.

SISKIND'S IMMIGRATION BULLETIN - MARCH 1999

E-mail subscribers as of March 29, 1999: 20,392 persons (50 states/125
countries)

Published by Greg Siskind, partner at the Immigration Law Offices of
Siskind, Susser, Haas & Devine, Attorneys at Law; telephone: 800-748-3819,
901-737-3194 or 615-345-0225; facsimile: 901-737-3837 or 615-843-0424,
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], WWW home page: http://www.visalaw.com. SSHD
serves immigration clients throughout the world from its offices in the US,
Canada and the People's Republic of China. To schedule a telephone or
in-person consultation with the firm, go to http://www.visalaw.com/intake.html.

To receive a free e-mail subscription to Siskind's Immigration Bulletin,
fill out the form at http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html or send an
email message to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
message in the body of the e-mail "subscribe your e-mail address". TO
UNSUBSCRIBE GO TO http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html. To subscribe to
the free Siskind's Immigration Professional Newsletter, send e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and tell us your name, location,
e-mail address, and the type of immigration occupation you are in
(immigration lawyer, paralegal, foreign student advisor, journalist,
Congressional staffer, etc.).

______________________________________

Dear Readers:

As those of you who have been subscribing for several years will know, our
little newsletter has grown from what was once just a few articles that
took a couple of pages to a publication with 40+ articles per month, often
printing out to 50 of more pages. Because the newsletter is so large, we
have had to break it into multiple parts when distributing it via e-mail.
Many people have commented that this makes it difficult to read and have
asked whether there is an alternative. Also, the massive task of sending
out a multi-part e-mail (with each message containing about ten pages of
text) to more than 20,000 readers has put an extreme burden on our
provider's mail server and many of you have reported missing parts in your
monthly newsletter. We think we have found a solution which will both give
readers flexibility and solve problems with our mailing.

Starting this month, we will begin delivery of the newsletter in three ways
and readers will have a choice how they wish to receive our publication.

The first way is what you are seeing in this e-mail. After our first
article, all of the other articles will be hyperlinked to the article on
our web site. You can then find the articles you are interested in quickly
and read them in an html format.

The second format will be a simple e-mail with an Adobe Acrobat attachment
containing the entire text of the newsletter. This will mean you have to be
able to read Adobe Acrobat, be able to handle e-mail attachments and not
mind receiving a 100K document that may be 50 or more pages.

The third format will be the old format - a multi-part e-mail with the
entire text of the newsletter.

If you prefer the second or third format, please e-mail me back and we will
get you set up. If you like the format of this e-mail, do nothing and you
will continue receiving your newsletter this way.

We hope this new format works and if you have previously had delivery
problems, please accept our apologies.

Regards,

Greg Siskind

1. MESSAGE FROM SISKIND, SUSSER, HAAS & DEVINE
2. LEGISLATIVE UPDATE - ADVOCACY UPDATE CENTER
3. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR'S UNVEILING OF NEW LCA FAXBACK SYSTEM PLAGUED WITH
PROBLEMS
4. INS TARGETING INDIAN COMPUTER CASES
5. INS REPORTS ON "MAIL-ORDER BRIDES" AND IMMIGRATION
6. NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP UPDATE
7. NEW STUDY SHOWS INCREASED CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION DENIALS
8. PRESIDENT CLINTON DISCUSSES IMMIGRATION DURING VISIT TO CENTRAL AMERICA
9. H-1B VISA CAP WILL SOON BE REACHED
10. BORDER AND DEPORTATION NEWS
11. TEMPORARY AMNESTY FOR GUATEMALAN AND GUATEMALAN NATIONALS EXPIRES
12. NACARA REGULATIONS DEBATED IN CONGRESS
13. FINAL RULE ON NACARA MOTIONS TO REOPEN
14. SHIFT IN INS INTERIOR ENFORCEMENT STRATEGY DRAWS CRITICISM
15. GOVERNMENT PROCESSING TIMES
16. STATE DEPARTMENT VISA BULLETIN
17. NEWS BYTES
18. IMMIGRATION AND THE INTERNET
19. VISA SPOTLIGHT: EB-5 INVESTOR GREEN CARD
20. FORMER INS COMMISSIONER CRITICIZES INS CRACKDOWN ON IMMIGRANT INVESTOR
VISA PROGRAM
21. CONGRESSIONAL REPUBLICANS CALL FOR 1000 NEW BORDER PATROL AGENTS
22. COMMISSIONER MEISSNER SAYS SERVICE WILL LAY LOW DURING CENSUS COUNT OF
IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES
23. TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS PROGRAM CRITICIZED IN CONGRESS
24. HOUSE IMMIGRATION SUBCOMMITTEE DEBATES ECONOMIC IMPACT OF IMMIGRATION
25. INS DISCUSSES IMMIGRATION EFFECT OF HURRICANE MITCH
26. ALIEN SMUGGLING OFF FLORIDA COAST TURNS DEADLY
27. FLORIDA GOVERNOR CRITICIZES FEDERAL ENFORCEMENT OF IMMIGRATION LAWS
28. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES ISSUES POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR 1999
29. URBAN INSTITUTE RELEASES STUDY ON IMMIGRANT'S WELFARE USE
30. TEXAS GOVERNOR BUSH EXPRESSES SYMPATHY FOR MEXICAN IMMIGRANTS
31. ASYLUM SEEKERS TURNED AWAY AT THE MEXICAN BORDER
32. FRAUDULENT IRANIAN ASYLUM RING BROKEN UP
33. UNITED NATIONS CRITICIZES INS PRACTICE OF JAILING REFUGEES
34. NEWS FROM THE COURTS
35. CONTINUING AFTERMATH OF CHANDLER, ARIZONA 'ALIEN ROUNDUP':  ANOTHER
LAWSUIT AND A CHANGE IN POLICE POLICY
36. U.S. GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES SETTLEMENT OF IMMIGRANT NURSE DISCRIMINATION CASE
37. LAWSUIT OVER ENGLISH-ONLY SIGN ORDINANCE
38. GUINEA-BISSAU DESIGNATED FOR TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS
39. CONSULAR FOCUS: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
40. CHINESE, IRAQI DETAINEES BRAWL
41. SLAIN GUINEAN IMMIGRANT LIED ON ASYLUM APPLICATION
42. MEXICAN HOMOSEXUAL SEEK ASYLUM IN THE U.S.
43. ITALIAN AMERICAN INS EMPLOYEES ACCUSE AGENCY OF BIAS
44. ORANGE COUNTY SEEKS TO ELIMINATE UNDERGROUND MEDICAL CLINICS CATERING
TO IMMIGRANTS
45. INS ANNOUNCES EXTENSION OF PILOT EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION PROGRAM TO
NEBRASKA
46. NEW RULE ON NONIMMIGRANT VISA PHOTOGRAPH REQUIREMENT ISSUED

____________________________________

1.      MESSAGE FROM SISKIND, SUSSER, HAAS & DEVINE

The big news this month harkens back to the big issue of 1998  the H-1B
visa cap. As regular readers of this publication may remember, last year a
major debate took place in Congress whether the 65,000 annual cap on the
issuance of H-1B visas should be raised. The cap of 65,000 was reached in
May of last year, several months in advance of the October 1st start date
for the federal fiscal year. At the very last moment, Congress decided to
raise the cap for three years (and add a number of new H-1B requirements in
the process). The cap for the current fiscal year is 115,000. Most thought
this would be completely sufficient. However, as we reported earlier this
month, not only will that cap not take us through the fiscal year, but the
new, higher cap will be reached even earlier than last year. In fact, we
have learned that the number of cases already in the queue to be approved
already exceeds 115,000. This month, we'll report on this crucial new
development.

There are a number of other important stories we are following this month
as well. Several of them relate to immigration issues affecting Central
Americans  NACARA, Temporary Protected Status for Hondurans and
Guatemalans, the ongoing effect of Hurricane Mitch on immigration and
more.  We also report this month on asylum, immigrant investor green cards,
the new HHS poverty guidelines. And, as always, we have our regular
features  INS processing times, State Department Visa numbers, Visa
Spotlight, Consular Focus, Legislative Update, etc.

In firm news, we are happy to report that Greg Siskind's new book, the J
Visa Guidebook, is finished and off to the printing press. The book is
being published by Matthew Bender, one of the largest legal publishing
firms in the world, and is being co-authored with well-known immigration
lawyers Steve Yale-Loehr and William Stock. If all goes as planned, the
book will be released just prior to the National Association of Foreign
Student Advisors meeting in Denver, Colorado in late May. Look for more
information on this first publication of its kind in coming issues.

The firm was also in the news because we broke the H-1B story on our site.
The story was picked up by several news services (including the March 19th
issue of the Seattle Times
(http://archives.seattletimes.com/cgi-bin/texis.mummy/web/vortex/display?sto
ryID=36f30aabd&query=Siskind).

Greg Siskind also has been on the road delivering speeches to national
audiences. This month, he delivered two speeches on incorporating the
Internet into the practice of law at the annual American Bar Association
Techshow in Chicago, Illinois. This is the largest law and technology
program of its type in the world and it is the fourth year in a row that
Greg has been invited to speak.

Finally, our very popular Visalaw Discussion Board will be undergoing some
important and very positive changes in the near future. Siskind, Susser,
Haas & Devine is partnering with Findlaw (www.findlaw.com) to deliver a
much more sophisticated discussion board page. Many of our attorney readers
no doubt already know Findlaw and often refer to it as the Yahoo! of legal
web sites. According to plans on the table, messages will not be deleted
after two weeks and will now be archived for searching later on. The pages
will also be laid out in a much easier to read format. And, most
importantly, Findlaw has the capability to make changes and modifications
to the site in a much more effective and expeditious manner than we can do
on our own. The discussion board will remain at its current location on our
web site and will also be viewable from the Findlaw web site. Look for
Visalaw to announce other partnerships and alliances in the future to
better deliver information and services to our readers.

________________________________

2. LEGISLATIVE UPDATE - ADVOCACY UPDATE CENTER -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/2mar99.html

3. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR'S UNVEILING OF NEW LCA FAXBACK SYSTEM PLAGUED WITH
PROBLEMS -http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/3mar99.html

4. INS TARGETING INDIAN COMPUTER CASES -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/4mar99.html

5. INS REPORTS ON "MAIL-ORDER BRIDES" AND IMMIGRATION -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/5mar99.html

6. NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP UPDATE -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/6mar99.html

7. NEW STUDY SHOWS INCREASED CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION DENIALS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/7mar99.html

8. PRESIDENT CLINTON DISCUSSES IMMIGRATION DURING VISIT TO CENTRAL AMERICA
- http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/8mar99.html

9. H-1B VISA CAP WILL SOON BE REACHED -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/9mar99.html

10. BORDER AND DEPORTATION NEWS - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/10mar99.html

11. TEMPORARY AMNESTY FOR GUATEMALAN AND GUATEMALAN NATIONALS EXPIRES -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/11mar99.html

12. NACARA REGULATIONS DEBATED IN CONGRESS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/12mar99.html

13. FINAL RULE ON NACARA MOTIONS TO REOPEN -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/13mar99.html

14. SHIFT IN INS INTERIOR ENFORCEMENT STRATEGY DRAWS CRITICISM
-http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/14mar99.html

15. GOVERNMENT PROCESSING TIMES - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/15mar99.html

16. STATE DEPARTMENT VISA BULLETIN - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/16mar99.html

17. NEWS BYTES - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/17mar99.html

18. IMMIGRATION AND THE INTERNET - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/18mar99.html

19. VISA SPOTLIGHT: EB-5 INVESTOR GREEN CARD -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/19mar99.html

20. FORMER INS COMMISSIONER CRITICIZES INS CRACKDOWN ON IMMIGRANT INVESTOR
VISA PROGRAM - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/20mar99.html

21. CONGRESSIONAL REPUBLICANS CALL FOR 1000 NEW BORDER PATROL AGENTS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/21mar99.html

22. COMMISSIONER MEISSNER SAYS SERVICE WILL LAY LOW DURING CENSUS COUNT OF
IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/22mar99.html

23. TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS PROGRAM CRITICIZED IN CONGRESS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/23mar99.html

24. HOUSE IMMIGRATION SUBCOMMITTEE DEBATES ECONOMIC IMPACT OF IMMIGRATION -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/24mar99.html

25. INS DISCUSSES IMMIGRATION EFFECT OF HURRICANE MITCH -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/25mar99.html

26. ALIEN SMUGGLING OFF FLORIDA COAST TURNS DEADLY -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/26mar99.html

27. FLORIDA GOVERNOR CRITICIZES FEDERAL ENFORCEMENT OF IMMIGRATION LAWS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/27mar99.html

28. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES ISSUES POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR
1999 - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/28mar99.html

29. URBAN INSTITUTE RELEASES STUDY ON IMMIGRANT'S WELFARE USE -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/29mar99.html

30. TEXAS GOVERNOR BUSH EXPRESSES SYMPATHY FOR MEXICAN IMMIGRANTS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/30mar99.html

31. ASYLUM SEEKERS TURNED AWAY AT THE MEXICAN BORDER -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/31mar99.html

32. FRAUDULENT IRANIAN ASYLUM RING BROKEN UP -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/32mar99.html

33. UNITED NATIONS CRITICIZES INS PRACTICE OF JAILING REFUGEES -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/33mar99.html

34. NEWS FROM THE COURTS - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/34mar99.html

35. CONTINUING AFTERMATH OF CHANDLER, ARIZONA 'ALIEN ROUNDUP':  ANOTHER
LAWSUIT AND A CHANGE IN
POLICE POLICY - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/35mar99.html

36. U.S. GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES SETTLEMENT OF IMMIGRANT NURSE DISCRIMINATION
CASE - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/36mar99.html

37. LAWSUIT OVER ENGLISH-ONLY SIGN ORDINANCE -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/37mar99.html

38. GUINEA-BISSAU DESIGNATED FOR TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/38mar99.html

39. CONSULAR FOCUS: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/39mar99.html

40. CHINESE, IRAQI DETAINEES BRAWL - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/40mar99.html

41. SLAIN GUINEAN IMMIGRANT LIED ON ASYLUM APPLICATION -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/41mar99.html

42. MEXICAN HOMOSEXUAL SEEK ASYLUM IN THE U.S. -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/42mar99.html

43. ITALIAN AMERICAN INS EMPLOYEES ACCUSE AGENCY OF BIAS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/43mar99.html

44. ORANGE COUNTY SEEKS TO ELIMINATE UNDERGROUND MEDICAL CLINICS CATERING
TO IMMIGRANTS - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/44mar99.html

45. INS ANNOUNCES EXTENSION OF PILOT EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION PROGRAM TO
NEBRASKA - http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/45mar99.html

46. NEW RULE ON NONIMMIGRANT VISA PHOTOGRAPH REQUIREMENT ISSUED -
http://www.visalaw.com/99mar/46mar99.html