SISKIND'S IMMIGRATION BULLETIN - JUNE 1999

E-mail subscribers as of June 30, 1999: 21,749 persons (50 states/126
countries)

Published by Greg Siskind, partner at the Immigration Law Offices of
Siskind, Susser, Haas & Devine, Attorneys at Law; telephone: 800-748-3819,
901-737-3194 or 615-345-0225; facsimile: 630-604-9306, email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], WWW home page: http://www.visalaw.com. SSHD serves
immigration clients throughout the world from its offices in the US, Canada
and the People's Republic of China. To schedule a telephone or in-person
consultation with the firm, go to http://www.visalaw.com/intake.html.

To receive a free e-mail subscription to Siskind's Immigration Bulletin,
fill out the form at http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html or send an
email message to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
message in the body of the e-mail "subscribe your e-mail address". TO
UNSUBSCRIBE GO TO http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html. To subscribe to
the free Siskind's Immigration Professional Newsletter, send e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and tell us your name, location,
e-mail address, and the type of immigration occupation you are in
(immigration lawyer, paralegal, foreign student advisor, journalist,
Congressional staffer, etc.).

1. MESSAGE FROM SISKIND, SUSSER, HAAS & DEVINE -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/1jun99.html

2. J VISA BOOK RELEASED - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/2jun99.html

3. HIGHLIGHTS OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAWYERS
ASSOCIATION - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/3jun99.html

4. LEGISLATIVE UPDATE - ADVOCACY UPDATE CENTER -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/4jun99.html

5. NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP UPDATE -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/5jun99.html

6. VISA SPOTLIGHT:  H-1B CAP REACHED - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/6jun99.html

7. POLITICAL DEBATE SURROUNDS H-1B VISA PROGRAM -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/7jun99.html

8. INS ANNOUNCES DURATION OF STATUS RULES FOR F-1 AND J-1 NONIMMIGRANTS
SEEKING H-1B VISAS - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/8jun99.html

9. NEW RULES ON MAINTAINING STATUS AND TRAVEL ABROAD FOR H AND L
NONIMMIGRANTS - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/9jun99.html

10. H-1B VISA SHORTAGE'S IMPACT ON UNIVERSITIES -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/10jun99.html

11. BORDER AND DEPORTATION NEWS - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/11jun99.html

12. INS PARTICIPATES IN MANHUNT FOR SUSPECTED SERIAL KILLER -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/12jun99.html

13. GOVERNMENT PROCESSING TIMES - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/13jun99.html

14. STATE DEPARTMENT VISA BULLETIN - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/14jun99.html

15. SENATE MAY VOTE TO RESTORE NATIONAL INTEREST WAIVERS FOR PHYSICIANS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/15jun99.html

16. NEWS BYTES - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/16jun99.html

17. REPORT OUTLINES CONTRIBUTIONS OF ASIAN IMMIGRANT ENTREPRENEURS IN
SILICON VALLEY - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/17jun99.html

18. INCREASING NUMBER OF CUBANS REACHING THE US RAISES FEARS OF ANOTHER
IMMIGRATION WAVE - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/18jun99.html

19. SENATE AGAIN VOTES TO REPEAL ENTRY-EXIT LAW -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/19jun99.html

20. INS REPORT ADMITS DISCRIMINATION EXISTS IN SOME WORKPLACE RAIDS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/20jun99.html

21. NEW REPORT ON STATE RESTORATION OF BENEFITS FOR IMMIGRANTS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/21jun99.html

22. SENATE IMMIGRATION SUBCOMMITTEE APPROVES INCREASED FUNDING FOR BORDER
PATROL - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/22jun99.html

23. SOUTHWEST BORDER IDENTIFICATION PROGRAM DRAWS BOTH PRAISE AND CRITICISM
- http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/23jun99.html

24. LAWMAKERS CONSIDER FARMWORKER AMNESTY PROGRAM -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/24jun99.html

25. UNMANNED AIRPLANES MAY PATROL SOUTHWEST BORDER -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/25jun99.html

26. ASIAN-AMERICAN IMMIGRANT SCIENTISTS EXPERIENCE HOSTILITY FOLLOWING
CHARGES OF CHINESE ESPIONAGE - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/26jun99.html

27. ASYLUM NEWS - MEDICAL GUIDELINES ISSUED ON FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/27jun99.html

28. NEWS FROM THE COURTS - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/28jun99.html

29. LAWSUIT FILED TO STOP NEGOTIATIONS ON PROPOSITION 187 -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/29jun99.html

30. CALIFORNIA DEBATES OFFERING IN-STATE COLLEGE TUITION TO ILLEGAL
IMMIGRANTS - http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/30jun99.html

31. NEW STUDY REVEALS SURPRISES IN IMMIGRANT DAY-LABOR MARKET -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/31jun99.html

32. LAWSUIT ALLEGES ALABAMA TAX ASSESSOR DISCRIMINATED AGAINST IMMIGRANTS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/32jun99.html

33. REPORT SUGGESTS CURRENT HIGH LEVELS OF IMMIGRATION WILL CONTINUE -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/33jun99.html

34. COMPETITION LOWERS COST OF SENDING MONEY TO MEXICO -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/34jun99.html

35. NEW JERSEY DETENTION CENTER ANNOUNCES PLANS TO IMPROVE CONDITIONS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/35jun99.html

36. INS RELEASES FURTHER GUIDANCE ON 245i SUNSET -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/36jun99.html

37. IRAQI NATIONALS RELEASED FROM INS DETENTION -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/37jun99.html

38. CONSULAR FOCUS:  BELGRADE, YUGOSLAVIA -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/38jun99.html

39. AUTHORITIES UNCOVER BABY-SMUGGLING RING -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/39jun99.html

40. TEMPORARY AMNESTY EXTENDED TO KOSOVO NATIONALS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/40jun99.html

41. TEXAS EXECUTES CANADIAN NATIONAL -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/41jun99.html

42. NACARA REGISTRATION PERIOD BEGINS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/42jun99.html

43. TPS DEADLINE NEARS FOR HONDURANS AND NICARAGUANS -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/43jun99.html

44. USIA ISSUES POLICY STATEMENT ON FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATES -
http://www.visalaw.com/99jun/44jun99.html

_______________________________________

1. MESSAGE FROM SISKIND, SUSSER, HAAS AND DEVINE

Dear Readers:

The nation's immigration lawyers gathered this month in Seattle Washington
for the annual meeting of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
This was a more subdued year than the last few meetings largely because the
tide appears to be turning on the legislative front and immigrants are now
winning back much of what was lost in the tumultuous 1996 session of
Congress. This year, the focus of people's attention was focused on more
immediate problems - the reaching of the H-1B visa cap, the meltdown of INS
processing of adjustment of status applications, the INS' basic shutdown of
the National Interest Waiver category, etc. Siskind, Susser, Haas & Devine
was well-represented at the meeting with nine of our attorneys attending.

Last month, I also had the pleasure of attending the annual meeting of the
Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society in New York City. I serve on the board of HIAS
and am chairing its new Leadership Development Program. HIAS is one of the
nation's oldest, immigrant resettlement and advocacy organizations. In
recent years, it has settled thousands of refugees from the former Soviet
Union in the US. In the past several months, it has played a leading role
in resettling Kosovar Albanians here.  I had the opportunity to hear the
inside details on the Kosovar refugee crisis and also to attend a ceremony
in which several dozen college scholarships were awarded to recently
arrived immigrants to this country. I was honored to be asked to serve on
HIAS' scholarship committee and was amazed at the remarkable
accomplishments of many applicants, particularly those who have been here
just a short time.

There are a number of major stories in immigration law we are following
this month. First and foremost, the H-1B cap was officially announced.
Applications filed after April 11, 1999 did not make it, though people who
filed before the cap was announced will get some important benefits. We
discuss the cap in this month's Visa Spotlight feature. Another major
development for our doctor readers and clients is the US Senate's
consideration of a bill that would make it easier for physicians working in
medically underserved areas to get a National Interest Waiver.  And one
development that will no doubt be welcome by many readers is an INS
decision to certain H-1B and L-1 visa holders in the process of applying
for adjustment of status to reenter the US after traveling on their visas
instead of an advance parole document.

In firm news, my new book THE J VISA GUIDEBOOK, can now be ordered from
Matthew Bender, one of the nation's largest and most respected legal
publishers. The purpose of this newsletter is not to plug books, but my
co-authors, Bill Stock and Steve Yale-Loehr, have tried to include a
considerable amount of material never before published. In this issue, I'll
tell you more about the book's contents and how it can be ordered.

And as always, we remind readers that this publication is put out by
Siskind, Susser, Haas & Devine, an immigration law firm, and we are
available for telephone or in-person consultations to answer immigration
questions and discuss our representing individuals and employers in
immigration matters. If interested, please go to
http://www.visalaw.com/intake.html. Employers interested in retaining the
services of an immigration law firm are also welcome to call us at
800-748-3819.

Regards,

Greg Siskind