Posted to Vanessa-Mae Mailing List by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Hello fellow followers of Vanessa Mae!

I am so pleased that the list is back! I've had several interesting little
tid-bits to share but I had despaired that I couldn't register for the
list. Naturally it came back while I was gone on vacation.

Last year I had the great honor and privilege of talking with Midori! Now
be patient, I know which list this is so stay with me. I have a friend who
plays 1st violin in the Atlanta Symphony who gave me two tickets to hear
her (and ASO) play with Midori. Naturally, I brought my beautiful and
charming girl-friend, Kelly.

Midori played the famous "Violin Concerto" by Jean Sibelius (one of my
hundreds of favourite pieces). Her phrasing was perfect. She played with
great prowess and power. You could feel the force of her personality
projecting clear to our seat in the second balcony (which is acoustically
far superior to the orchestra level). To say that she plays with great
beauty and style deprives one of the realization of how truly awe inspiring
Midori is as a violinist. I gave serious consideration to buying tickets
for the next two nights she was to perform (I checked, they were sold out).

One amusing comment. Every once in a while, Midori would give an emphatic
stamp of her foot, not at all in time with the music. This did not detract
from the quality of her music, however. She is a truly elegant musician.

After the concert, Kelly and I waited in the reception area hoping to see
Midori. I kept an eye out since I figured she would be instantly mobbed. I
saw her being escorted up the stairs by a Symphony Guild member. No one
seemed to notice her. Naturally, she had changed clothes, but the main
reason was that in person she is very pleasant and mild. Very different
from the towering force of musicianship we saw on stage. I walked over and
shook her hand. Kelly and I then took the opportunity to speak with her.
She was extremely nice. Both Kelly and I recieved an autograph and took a
picture of her. She then mingled for about fifteen minutes but was soon
alone again. I talked with her some more and complimented her performance.
Kelly took a second picture of Midori and I standing together. She was then
escorted away by a Symphony Guildsman. Sigh.

During our conversation I asked Midori if she knew Vanessa Mae. She said
that she had never played with her but was familiar with her playing and
thought she was highly talented.

I was much better prepared for Midori than I was when I met Vanessa Mae
here in Atlanta a few years ago. Then I didn't have a camera but I did get
an autograph. Our conversation went something like this:
Ray: "I have my students watch your video every year to learn more about
bow technique."
VM:  "Oh."
Then the next person asks for an autograph.

Certainly both Midori and Vanessa Mae are among the best in the world. Make
every effort to hear them perform live. There is no substitute.

Ray A. Kuutti
Violinist for Hire