I am looking for comments on a couple of VMS specific behavior issues.

Unless there are some objections, I would like to make these changes:

1. Fix usage of HOME and a few other environment variables used inside of the Perl binary.

Perl is assuming that the HOME and possibly some other environment variables are always in UNIX format early in the startup of the interpreter. When the CRTL is in UNIX mode, then this works, in the CRTL default mode the resulting file is an illegal filename from the combination of a VMS device and directory concatenated to a UNIX path or file. This is apparently stored and then used every time that Perl needs to look up certain types of files.

I would like to make the change so that in the startup, environment variables like "HOME" that Perl expects to be in UNIX format are in UNIX format as I find them. These tend to get exposed while I am debugging other issue.

2. If the VMS process parse style is set to extended, then Perl will default to having the C features for EFS character sets and case preserved behavior enabled, once those modes are working.

3. If a way can be found to detect that Perl is running under the GNV bash shell in the LIB$INITIALIZE section, which means %ENV{SHELL} = "bash", for Perl to default for the CRTL running UNIX filename report mode. And eventually assume that the GNV bash shell will be handling spawned commands.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only