"John E. Malmberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/20/2005 08:09:56 AM:

> A VMS exit 44 will also cause MMS/MMK by default to abort the makefile
> with MMS/MMK also exiting with an error.

I think Michael mentioned explicitly that was what was wanted.

> If you want a VMS exit code that UNIX programs should interpret as an
> EXIT 1, then the following (mostly undocumented) hack will work.
>
> VMS status code = %x35a000 + (UNIX status * 8), and if this is a success
> status, add 1, otherwise VMS will interpret it as a warning.
>
> EAGLE> exit %x35A000 + (1 * 8) + 1
>
> EAGLE> x = %x35A000 + (1 * 8) + 1
> EAGLE> show sym x
>    X = 3514377   Hex = 0035A009  Octal = 00015320011

A specific $? shell status returned by a specific Unix vendor's
implementation
of the false command is not necessarily what is needed.  Rather an
indication of
failure is what is asked for and Michael's proposed perl -e "exit 1" will
suit the task.  Although the "exit 44" I had suggested could also work on
VMS,
the "exit 1" will work there too (despite the doubt I might have spread by
my earlier statement).

Peter Prymmer