"John E. Malmberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/22/2005 12:53:06 AM:

> VMS has a number of features that vary with the version of VMS, and also
> features that can be enabled.
>
> Perl scripts running on VMS may need to know what features are enabled,
> or to enable the features.
>
> It appears to me that the vmsish module is the place to put these if I
> can figure out how to get them all implemented.

Much (not all) of this information sounds like it might do better
to reside in a non pragmatic module with a name like VMS::Config
or VMS::FeatureSet; rather than the pragmatic module intended to
alter run time behavior of a script and its loaded modules.

By the way, one often requested feature is to get a VMS exit 0
(that is $STATUS = 0 and $SEVERITY = 0), which the C exit and/or
return statements do not support, but an XS module that does:

#include <starlet.h>

sys$exit(0);

could support, given appropriate hooks into perl's main().

I personally do not feel any need for obtaining $STATUS 0,
but some folks do.

How about putting together a trial VMS::<whatever> extension to
implement trials of your proposals so that folks can try it out
from CPAN?

Peter Prymmer