On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:44:15PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> >So I guess what I'm saying here is I'm happy to code to the lowest common
> >denominator, or there is no intersection to do things like "if this
> >system has feature X, do Y".  What I do not want is "if this *VMS* system
> >has feature X, do Y."
>
> Unfortunately I can see no way to avoid the check for an OS name and
> then if there then is an OS setting and maintain backwards compatibility
> with older Perls where that OS setting was not even considered as a
> possibility.

Put the logic in a module.  Put the module on CPAN.

And this part is really my fault.  I've been meaning to write
File::System::Spec and Operating::System::Spec for a long time now to allow
easy answers to just these sorts of questions.

It would wrap up the implementation details of discovering this information,
such as calling VMS::Filespec.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Stabbing you in the face for your own good.