John E. Malmberg wrote:

Mark Berryman wrote:

I am curious. Why would you not want to simply define _USE_STD_STAT?

Perl currently is coded to expect only the behavior of the traditional but non standard compliant stat structure and related calls and then give an illusion that the stat structure is compliant.

Most of the infrastructure is in place for the enabling it, but I want to get all the long filename support in first.

What is needed is that the stat/fstat calls will need to cache the short path and filename being tested in space that is now reserved in the mystat structure. The perl_cando code will then reference this instead of a static cache that is used now for both stat and fstat().

At that point, I do not think that the static cache will be needed, and also after that change, there should be no reason for VMS.C to track the differences between the two stat structures.

Is it because this feature is not available on the VAX?

No, but it is not available before OpenVMS 8.2 and requires 64 bit support by the compiler.

It is available on V7.3-2. I don't have anything older than that to check. It does require 64-bit file support but that has been around for quite a while.

Mark Berryman