At 9:12 AM +0000 2/8/06, Chris Sharman wrote:
>Found ancient perl.exe in sys$system - removed it, and all's well.

You might have had PERL5LIB or PERLLIB logical names defined that
caused the Perl being built to look for modules in an existing Perl.
I build Perl all the time on systems that already have Perl, but I've
never had trouble with the two getting confused with each other.

>Well, much better, anyway - 5.8.8 built.
>Test results - 10 failures.
>I managed to run the first of these, for more details, but the details
>didn't mean much to me - should I be worrying ?
>System: Alpha VMS 7.3-1, DEC C 6.5-001

Most of these are expected and are documented here:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perl588delta.html#Platform-Specific-Problems

Whether to worry about them really depends on whether they are
testing features that you will depend on.  The chances of that seem
pretty small, though, given that only a handful of tests failed out
of well over 100,000.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."