> Perhaps on VMS, splitdir should do the same thing splitpath does and
> return the volume as the first element.  I'm concerned about what
> that might break, though.

Catch: the volume is not part of the directory.

If you want to split that off use splitpath.

If the interface were OO then it could return a
blessed-list-of-subdirs with an absolute/relative
flag buried in it.

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421