Peter Prymmer wrote:
"Craig A. Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/05/2006 10:46:17 PM:

At 8:30 PM -0500 3/5/06, Peter Prymmer wrote:

and changed the output of the sig_name_init back to the write/symbol
so as to avoid possible very long symbol output problems that are
germane to DCL

Except for this, which I leave as is for reasons stated here recently.

I am sorry I missed the discussion.  In looking at the archive
the last time I found sig_name_init mentioned was back in

and it appears to have been wc without the write/symbol in August as in:

It could be that a spam filter blocked the message from the list getting to me (or perhaps the discussion took place only on p5p?). I'd appreciate hearing why the change was made, thanks.

It appears that the discussion took place on p5p mainly.

The summary for the vmsperl list:

Abe Timmerman put in a patch to configure.com to bring it into sync. with the current configure, which including removing the /symbol.

I flagged that change for discussion because it might have impact on different versions of OpenVMS than the one that was tested, but I did not do the research to verify if /symbol was really needed. I made the assumption that it would only have been added if some case required it.

Craig Berry did the calculations and determined that /symbol was not needed, and so the patch was left in.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only