At 7:02 AM -0500 3/16/06, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>I have found that the link command for executables needs to be changed for
>threaded Perl build.  The additional qualifiers are ignored for shared images.
>
>I am not sure how to modify configure.com and descrip.mms_template etc to do
>this.
>
>When building a threaded Perl, the link command should be:
>
>$LINK :== LINK/THREADS_ENABLE=(MULTIPLE,UPCALLS)
>
>Setting the above command before building Perl is the current work around that
>I am using.
>
>The UPCALLS is needed to prevent calls to sleep(), SYS$HIBER(), usleep(),
>nanosleep(), and several other timed waits from becoming permanent.
>
>The MULTIPLE allows the threaded Perl to take advantage of multi-processor
>systems.
>
>This fixes t/op/threads.t to actually run test 4 instead of hanging.

Thanks for tracking this down.  The "workaround" should be to simply
answer yes to the question:

Enable multiple kernel threads and upcalls?

at configuration time.   We turn it off by default because there were
problems with these options when first released some years ago.  We
should probably turn it on by default for VMS 7.2 and later, or maybe
7.3.  One reason I've never done that is that I have only
single-processor systems to test on.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Literary critics usually know what they're
talking about. Even if they're wrong."
        -- Perl creator Larry Wall