John E. Malmberg wrote:
I have discovered that Perl on OpenVMS has components that expect UNIX style shell macros in file specifications to be translated intact through vmsify() and unixify().

On the OpenVMS ODS-5 filesystem, "./$(xxxx)" is a legal filename and is expressed in native terms as "[]$^(xxxx^).".

Perl expects that it will get translated to "[]$(xxxx)" though so that it can be passed through to make type programs.

Correction:
I first assumed that the "xxxx" was restricted to the ASCII
Alpha-Numeric character set and beginning with an Alpha character
because that was the only examples I had seen of it until today.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only