At 8:41 PM +0530 9/26/06, Prabhu, Anantha (STSD) wrote:

>SYS$SYSDEVICE:[HOME.LTT.perl.perl-5^.8^.6]pp_pack.c;1
>
>                        aulong = PerlSock_ntohl(aulong);
>.................................^
>%CC-I-IMPLICITFUNC, In this statement, the identifier "my_ntohl" is
>implicitly declared as a function.
>at line number 1301 in file
>SYS$SYSDEVICE:[HOME.LTT.perl.perl-5^.8^.6]pp_pack.c;1

>From README.vms in the Perl distribution (which unfortunately you can't read
>until you've already unpacked the archive):

=head1 Unpacking the Perl source code

You may need to set up a foreign symbol for the unpacking utility of choice.

If you unpack a perl source kit with a name containing multiple periods on
an ODS-5 volume using recent versions of vmstar (e.g. V3.4 or later) you may
need to be especially careful in unpacking the tape archive file.  Try to use
the ODS-2 compatability qualifiers such as:

    vmstar /extract/verbose/ods2 perl-V^.VIII^.III.tar

or:

    vmstar -xvof perl-5^.8^.3.tar

If you neglected to use the /ODS2 qualifier or the -o switch then you
could rename the source directory:

    set security/protection=(o:rwed) perl-5^.8^.3.dir
    rename perl-5^.8^.3.dir perl-5_8_3.dir

Perl on VMS as of 5.8.3 does not completely handle extended file
parse styles such as are encountered on ODS-5.  While it can be built,
installed, and run on ODS-5 filesystems; it may encounter
trouble with characters that are otherwise illegal on ODS-2
volumes (notably the ^. escaped period sequence).

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser