At 9:02 AM -0400 9/29/06, Carl Friedberg wrote:
>I've found the deadly combination: MakeMaker 6.30-2, VMS 7.3-2, Perl
>5.8.6, and a perl module with a script (which gets put into perl_root:[utils].

The problem would happen for anything installed in the top level of
the install target.  The bug is in ExtUtils::Install::_can_write_dir.
The offending line (well, the root of the trouble), is:

    my @dirs=File::Spec->splitdir(File::Spec->rel2abs($dir));

splitdir, as its name implies, only operates on directories.
rel2abs, on a platform that has the notion of disk volume that is
syntactically different from a directory, includes the volume as well
as directories in its result.  The function ends up calling catdir on
the results of splitdir, and the result of catdir(splitdir('disk:[dir]'))
is undefined:

$ perl -"MFile::Spec" -e "print defined
File::Spec->catdir(File::Spec->splitdir('disk:[dir]')) ? 1 : 0;"
0

Possibly just replacing splitdir/catdir in this function with
splitpath/catpath would work.  I'll try it and post again.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser