On 10/12/06, Craig A. Berry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Change #28957

<http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/28957>

added a Perl_reg_named_buff_sv function to regcomp.c.  It appears to
be a straight copy and paste of an identical function from re_comp.c
in the re extension.  Having them both causes linking of the re
extension to fail on VMS:

Link /Debug/Trace/Map /Shareable=[--.LIB.AUTO.RE]PL_RE.EXE
re.opt/Option,[--]perlshr_attr.opt/Option
%LINK-W-MULDEF, symbol PERL_REG_NAMED_BUFF_SV multiply defined
         in module RE_COMP file D0:[CRAIG.perl.lib.AUTO.RE]RE.OLB;1

Is there some reason for having both?  I don't see an independent
CPAN version of re.

The code in the re extension directory is a renamed copy of the code
in the main directory. This is how we generate the debug version.

regcomp.c => re_comp.c
regexec.c => re_exec.c

Anyway, what probably needs to happen is to put

#ifndef PERL_IN_XSUB_RE

#endif

around the offending routine and then only the core one will exist.

Sorry about that, i dont see warnings about this, so it didnt occur to me.

Ill try to send out a patch if you dont beat me to it but that has to wait.

Yves