On 1/27/07, Abe Timmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I tried to build bleadperl on OpenVMS (td183.testdrive.hp.com) and get the
following error:

MCR Sys$Disk:[]miniperl.exe "-I[.lib]" [.VMS]Writemain.pl "DynaLoader"
%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image DECW$XPORT_SERVICES
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file
$8$DKA100:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]DECW$XPORT_SERVICES.EXE;1
-SYSTEM-F-PROTINSTALL, protected images must be installed

Change #30041 should take care of that problem:

http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/30041

There's some fairly new code that allows the Perl debugger to start up
its own terminal window under DECwindows, but it depends on the
windowing system being present and running.  If the relevant shared
libraries [1] are present but not installed as known images [2] (which
is what will happen if DECwindows has not been started), you must not
link against them or you'll get the run-time error you saw when it
tries to map them in.

I've disabled the DECterm feature by default because this hiccup made
me realize that if you built a Perl with the feature enabled and then
tried to run that binary on a headless system, Perl wouldn't even
start.  That seems to me like a serious drawback, so it seemed best to
nip this in the bud before any released version of Perl tripped over
it.

I've also made the configuration work harder to make sure the DECterm
image it links against is both present and installed if you try to
enable the feature.

[1]  A shared library is called a shareable image in VMS parlance.

[2]  Installing a file as a known image is basically the same
principle as registering a DLL.