At 7:43 PM -0400 3/20/07, Michael T. Davis wrote:
>$ perl -v
>
>This is perl, v5.6.0 built for VMS_AXP
>
>...running on an AlphaServer DS15 running OpenVMS V8.2
>
>We're also running...
>
>%PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.2-1
>       AlphaServer DS15 running OpenVMS Alpha V8.2
>       PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.2-1x11; linked 12:47:51, Apr 12 2006
>
>       Sometime on 1-MAR-2007, the Perl scripts we use in our PMDF
>conversion channel stopped working.  The most obvious failure is that they
>can no longer obtain symbols from the environment.   This code snippet...
>
>    my $subject = $ENV { subject };
>
>    if ( $subject )
>    {
>        $subject = " " . $subject . " "
>    }
>    else
>    {
>        print "Couldn't dereference SUBJECT symbol";
>        exit 0x38140
>    }
>
>...always follows the "else" clause, despite the fact that just before Perl
>is called, there's a diagnostic WRITE SYS$OUTPUT SUBJECT which reveals a
>valid SUBJECT symbol.  What's really strange about this is that when I try
>to recreate the failure interactively, it works just fine.  Does anyone have
>any ideas as to what would inhibit PMDF's conversion channel in this manner?
>(I'll be checking with the PMDF folks, presently.)

I have no idea what a PMDF conversion channel is, but be aware that
Perl's %ENV hash does not normally reference DCL symbols unless the
logical name PERL_ENV_TABLES translates to something beginning with
CLISYM_.  See <http://perldoc.perl.org/perlvms.html#Perl-variables>
for details.

Check for whatever changed on March 1 and see if something that might
have defined PERL_ENV_TABLES has changed.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser