Paul Johnson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 09:06:48AM -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:

Craig A. Berry wrote:

Hopefully not as long as $^O eq 'VMS' is true.  We probably need
something more radically different to handle higher levels of UNIX
emulation.  Remind me to study the differences between the Cygwin
port and the Win32 port.

If there was a way to dynamically change $^O, it would be one thing, but from previous conversations on this list, such a way has not been found.

I'll admit to not having followed this thread very carefully so I might be
completely missing the point here.  But ...

$ perl -le 'print $^O; $^O = "ha!"; print $^O'
solaris
ha!
$

In this case value of $^O also needs to be changed internally to Perl before running any scripts based on the environment the Perl command is issued in. Previous discussions on this forum could not determine a way to do this reliably.

We have the following cases:

Traditional VMS:

   ODS-2 restrictions and workarounds
   39.39 character uppercase filenames
      (usually reported in lower case to Perl)
   Character set for filenames limited to [A-Z][0-9][_-]

Current VMS:
   ODS-5 - Almost no restrictions on characters in filenames.
           Special characters prefixed with ^ so they are
           not interpreted as file or DCL shell delimiters.
           UCS-2 and UTF-8 filenames allowed.
   Case is preserved on presentation.
   Exact case mode available.
   4096 long pathnames including escape characters.
   1024 long pathnames with out escape characters.
   DCL shell limited to 255 character pathnames.
   Must not use ODS-2 hacks or workarounds.

Current VMS - Unix mode
   All of the above for current VMS except:
      Path names reported in UNIX syntax
      GNV Bash shell and GNU utilities planned to available.
      UCS-2 filenames not currently accessible.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only