I got my hands on an Alphastation a few months ago.  They just updated
the hobbyist media to include OpenVMS 8.3 so I ordered it.  I installed
OpenVMS and layered products over the past few days.  I tried installing
perl last night and it failed to build.

I first tried 5.10.0 but that barely got started before dying with:

CC/DECC/NOANSI_ALIAS
/Include=[]/Standard=Relaxed_ANSI/Prefix=All/Obj=.obj/NoList/float=ieee/ieee=denorm/Define=(PERL_CORE,_USE_STD_STAT=1)
uudmap.h

{
^
%CC-E-DECLARATOR, Invalid declarator.
at line number 1 in file DKA0:[PERL-5_10_0]UUDMAP.H;1

So I tried again with 5.8.8.  That went a little farther but died with:

%MMS-F-GWKNOPRN, There are no known sources for the current target
[.ext.Dynaloader]Dynaloader.pm

I'm quite sure I was able to build 5.8.8 on the alpha at work but that's
running OpenVMS 8.2 and has ODS-2 disks.

I submitted the builds to batch so if the log files might be interesting
I can post them.

Any ideas what's going wrong?