>M> Are there any plans to update the RFB protocol support things like
>M> resoloution and colour depth switching? And other limitiations of
>M> the current system?
>
>M> It's quite annoying when a app changes the desktop resolution, and
>M> VNC dumps out.
>
>TightVNC will support variable screen resolution in one of the next
>versions, together with possibility to share partial desktop. By the
>way, current Java viewer from the TightVNC 1.2.4 release already fully
>supports new pseudo-encoding, EncodingNewFBSize (0xFFFFFF21), which
>can be used by servers to tell clients that the framebuffer size has
>changed.

That's the way I'd implement it, given the choice.  ChromiVNC handles
it by putting big black borders around the image (if a switch down in
resolution) or by showing the centre portion (if switch up).

>Regarding colour depth switching, it's not a limitation of the RFB
>protocol, it's a WinVNC limitation. I hope this issue will be solved
>too.

Quite.  ChromiVNC handles it all seamlessly, converting any colour
depth from 8-bit upwards to whatever RFB mode has been selected.  I
haven't figured out the <8-bit screen formats yet - they seem to vary
between types of machine.  :(