# Quoting Susanne Oberhauser ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> > > is there a vnc server which exports the Linux framebuffer device
> > > via vnc?
> >
> > I don't think there is such a server, but I am planing to do one to
> > complement DirectVNC.  ETA unknown, though ;).
>
> What is missing for such a beast?

A bit of code ;).

> As far as I understand, the vnc servers somehow intercept change
> events on the display.  How would that be accomplished with the fb
> device, being mmapped memory?

I dont know yet, exactly. One would have to track changes to memory
regions which would involve the help of the kernel. I guess this server
would need to be a kernel module. Doing it on the DirectFB level would
be easier, as changes to the fb go through the DFB layer and can be
intercepted there in userspace. This would expose only the DFB
"desktop" though, not /dev/fb directly. I've only toyed with the idea up
to now, we'll see whether/how it is possible.

> I don't understand much of such things yet, but I think, once this
> change event interception is mastered, it should not be too hard to
> extend one of the existing vnc servers in such a way that it exports
> the /dev/fbX instead of some 'own' memory, shouldn't it?

Exactly. :)

Cheers,

Till