Mike,

You can disable the tray icons in TridiaVNC Pro.  In addition, you
will get solid encryption and a powerful user interface:

http://www.tridiavncpro.com/

The registry settings are included in the "config" directory after
you install the product.  Take a look at "TVNCPro_NoIcons.reg"
among others.

Also, you would not be the first library system using TridiaVNC
Pro to administer the public PCs.  We can provide references if
you will contact us directly:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brian

> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Legitimate reason for wanting to hide the tray icon in VNC
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Let me start by saying that I understand the
> reluctance of anyone to discuss this subject.  After
> reading some of the messages on the mailing list, I
> wanted to add a brief opinion about hiding the tray
> icon in VNC.  I believe that my IT department has a
> more than legitimate reason for wanting to do this.
>
> I am a systems tech for a Public Library District in
> Colorado.  We currently have over 250 PCs in 9
> libraries, and the number is growing.  Our district
> serves a primarily rural county and our service area
> covers nearly 4,000 square miles.  Our staff has only
> two PC technicians that support this entire district.
>
> Needless to say, with two people covering this size of
> an area, we keep very busy.  We have been using VNC on
> our staff computers for nearly a year with great
> success.  Previously we had to physically travel to a
> remote site every time a new staff person needed an
> email account set up or any other minor task was to be
> performed.  VNC has saved us countless miles and hours
> and delighted our staff with our ability to respond
> quickly to their needs.
>
> Unfortunately, we cannot do the same with our 180 plus
> public PCs.  While the vast majority of our patrons
> would not know or care what the VNC icon was, a small
> percentage of our patrons are very computer savvy and
> I am certain that some of them would recognize it.
> Libraries and schools are already notoriuos for weak
> network security, and while I would like to think that
> we are above average, I have no desire to invite
> attempts to intrude our network.
>
> I have considered having VNC not start as a service
> and ask a local staff person to launch it only when
> needed, but because of our policies and configuration,
> that would require me to give the staff security
> passwords and local administrative priviliges on the
> PCs - an option that I cannot afford to even consider.
>
> In short, the only way I see that VNC can work for our
> libraries is to disable the tray icon.  We have no
> interest in spying on anyone - frankly we don't have
> the time.  Our only intrest is to provide the best
> possible technology to our public while operating
> within our limited resources.
>
> If the tray icon were not an issue, I would gladly pay
> a per seat license to run VNC.  It's too bad that the
> paranoia of "Big Brother" fanatics has to overshadow
> the ability to use legitimate tools for legitimate
> purposes.
>
> If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.
>
> Mike
> Computer & Systems Technician

Brian
TridiaVNC Pro: finally, affordable remote control!
http://www.TridiaVNCPro.com/