Dan,

You can prevent shutdown in all of the major VNC distributions without
completely disabling the tray icon(s).

In TridiaVNC:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default]
"AllowShutdown"=dword:00000000

In TridiaVNC Pro:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tridia\TridiaVNC\WinVNC3\Default]
"AllowShutdown"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tridia\TVNCPro]
"disableShutdown"=dword:00000001

Now, if you require a completely stealth connection, then further
measures are needed, including the removal of the tray icons:

In TridiaVNC:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3]
"DisableTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default]
"BeepConnect"=dword:00000000
"BeepDisconnect"=dword:00000000

In TridiaVNC Pro:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tridia\TridiaVNC\WinVNC3]
"DisableTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tridia\TridiaVNC\WinVNC3\Default]
"BeepConnect"=dword:00000000
"BeepDisconnect"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tridia\TVNCPro]
"disableTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tridia\TVNCPro\Processor]
"disableWallpaper"=dword:00000000
"disableActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
"disablePattern"=dword:00000000
"disableFontSmoothing"=dword:00000000
"disableDragFullWindows"=dword:00000000

You may wish to combine the options for preventing shutdown with
the ones for disabling the tray icons.  That way a sophisticated
user will have more trouble killing the application manually.

Brian

--
Brian
TridiaVNC Pro: finally, affordable remote control!