In the M$Windows world, it's an ofset: add it to 5900 and it is the port
number used for the RFB (read vnc) protocol. Add it to 5800 and it is the
port number of the tiny webserver that serves the java viewer.

For the unix world, it is also the X11 display number: add it to 6000 and it
is the port number for the X11 communication. (I think this is the origin or
at least the inspiration)

CBee