Well I ran it initially as oracle then ran it as root too and it seemed to work. I
wasn't getting the  xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 process initially but now am. I
changed the /tmp/.X11* directory contents to have oracle user permissions and although
the temp directory was writeable by all I think the contents of .X11 being owned by
root were mucking things up. Might be a bit clearer if I have to start it again but it
works for now. Thanks to CBEE for inspiration. ;)
Elaine