From: Andrew McKnight [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 8:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Registry Edit to define server password

Hi,

We use VNC across multiple machines on a number of remote site and one instance has
thrown up a problem today.  This machine was working fine last week but something
must've happened over the weekend to change this.  This is where we're at just now.

When I browse to the PC using the Java viewer I get the standard VNC Authentication
screen.  I enter the password I've always used on this PC and I'm shown the following
error message:

"java.io.IOException: This server does not have a valid password enabled.  Until a
password is set, incoming connections cannot be accepted."

My first question is what could have caused this?  I've checked which user account is
currently logged in and it's the same account that's always logged in so I don't think
it's a login/profile issue.  I can only assume something happened and the server's
lost the password.

I connected to the registry of the faulty machine and brought up the VNC password
entry.  I compared this to the same registry entry on another machine that I know is
working and should be using the same password as the faulty machine.  The binary
entries were different.  Thinking this could be an easy solution, I copied the binary
entry from the working machine and pasted it into the registry of the faulty machine
but I'm still getting the same message while attempting to login to that server.

How can I solve this problem without having to go on site and set the password again
through the software?  Is there a different registry edit I can try?  I've got about
an hour's drive to get to this PC so I'd rather not if there's a way around it.

Thanks in advance,

Andy McKnight.

The information in this email is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be legally
privileged.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you believe you
have received this email in error please contact the
sender.

Any views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent
those of Castle Leisure Group.