I have recently installed RedHat Linux 8.0 on my notebook machine, and
have a use for the OpenOffice suite that it comes with.   I routinely
use VNC to access this machine when I'm in my office.

If I start vncserver on the notebook while X-Windows is running
directly on its display, then an attempt to fire up one of the
OpenOffice tools results in the application being displayed on the
notebook's own screen, not the screen where I have vncviewer running.
If X-Windows is not running on the notebook, then things work as you
might expect.   I haven't yet got two instances of an OpenOffice
application to run over VNC to separate windows on my desktop box
(which runs BSD/OS).

I am vaguely thinking of having a Linux server available for staff who
want to use applications only available on Linux: does anyone know
where the above behaviour comes from?   and whether it can be
modified?