From: "Beerse, Corni" [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 5:53 AM
To: Kaplan, Andrew H.; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Problems Connecting To UNIX Server

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
> Hi,
>
> I installed VNC Server on an HP-UX 10.20 workstation. I modified the
> inetd.conf and services files to reflect
> the application's settings. After that I restarted the inetd
> services on the machine. While I was on the machine,
> I did a netstat -a and the vnc ports were listening for
> connections. When I tried to connect to the server from a
> Windows 2000 machine via the VNCViewer, I got a could not
> connect to server error message.

If you followed http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp
<http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp>  , you probably use
the
wrong user from inetd. The user `nobody` has no proper rights on HP-UX for
running Xvnc. Better use `sys` for that purpose.

You can test this part from a root account:
# su - sys /path/to/Xvnc :4 -query localhost
# su - nobody /path/to/Xvnc :5 -query localhost

On HP-UX, you should be able to connect to :4 but not to :5 since user nobody
lacks some rights.

> The UNIX system has telnet disabled but does allow SSH
> connections. I am going over the steps to connect
> to the system using VNC over SSH but I wanted to know if
> anyone had any ideas? Thanks.

You can restrict Xvnc to only allow connections from localhost (that's what
happens if you also use ssh). It adds a little security. See `Xvnc -help` for
list of options.

CBee