----- Original Message -----
From: "John Harper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> xstartup looks like this
>
> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
>
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> twm &
>
>     I used to run Redhat 7.2 and VNC Server ran beautifully on it. I had
no issues getting my gnome desktop through it. I never had to change the
config or anything. Just installed and it ran beautifully.
>     I recently changed out the motherboard, processor, and ram and wiped
the system. I then installed Redhat 8.0 and downloaded the newer version of
VNC Server installing the RPM. Now I can only get the twm desktop. A grey
screen and single XTERM. I can not seem to find the correct file that starts
up the gnome desktop so I can place it in the xstartup script.

> I have tried several ways including finding all instances of gnome on the
server and replacing twm with each file to in seperate attempts.

> I could really use a hand here,
>
> Many Thanks

The approached used by the packages provided with Redhat use:
#!/bin/sh

# Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

This way if you decided to change WM using the Redhat tools, your VNC server
gets the changes.

Also, are you running a graphical desktop using the same user as you are
trying to run the VNC server?  Gnome has (previously discussed here) issues
running two desktops as the same user.  Providing the log file might help
troubleshoot.
--
William Hooper

Finally, a good use for Clippy!
"I see you're trying to email a program to every member of your
Outlook Address book. DON'T DO THAT YOU FUCKING MORON!"
 -- Seen on Slashdot.org