First, don't forget that VNC is multi-platform.  Second, in case you
don't know technologies, let me explain a bit to you.  Instant messenger
requires first a server to logon while VNC is point to point.  If you say
it's possible to install an instant messenger server, the answer is "it's a
waste of time and ressource".

        As to company policy, if you understand why there're companies
allowing PCAnywhere but forbidding Internet surfing or instant messenger,
you could also understand why they would forbid netmeeting but allows vnc.

        OTOH, it is not unusual that company computers are behind
firewall(s) which blocks both incoming and outcoming traffics except a few
ports, usually 80.  So, in some case, if 80 is the only port, either you let
VNC work for tele-maintainance or workers brwoser the web.  I think the
choice is clear.

        Moreover, it's well known that ICQ has a lot of security flaws :
hackers can execute (or make a user execute) worms or other dirty stuffs.
For netmeeting, it's not sure it's 100% sure.  But for VNC, everything must
to be done _on_the_screen_.  If a hacker wants to run a virus, he has to run
it in a Dos window or double click.  If there's a user before the server
screen (which is almost always the case), he could know what he's doing.

        There're more reasons than I can easily imagine, but I think these
are enough for now.

        As to bloat, I don't think a chat client could be a bloat.  First,
it just needs two panels, one keyboard input stream listener, one network
input stream listener and some codes to display characters.  It couldn't be
bigger than notepad.  (FYI, WinVNC is about 330 kB.  Notepad is about 50KB).
Second, it can be a separate programme (executable), sort of plugin.