Third attempt at sending this to the list (I got caught out in the
previous ones by the change in our domain at Imperial College...)

Hi Arnt, (-and the rest of the list: thought it was worth making this more widely known in case anyone else gets caught by it!)

Something else I forgot to mention (which is particularly relevant to
viewing the Mac ChromiVNC server from Windows) is the bug in the
Windows RealVNC viewer CoRRE encoding. It's been there a long time - at
least back to 3.3.3R3, and it's still there in the latest version. (But
see addendum below...)

This is similar to the RRE bug in VNCThing, and you'd think it would be
possible to get around it in the same way as with VNCThing: switch off
the bad encoding at the viewer end... except that you can't do that!!

Many other viewers (VNCThing/VNCDimension/vncviewer[unix]) allow the
user to select exactly which encodings you want to allow (and hence
which to prevent) at the *viewer* end. But the Windows RealVNC viewer
only has a setting for the 'preferred' encoding (which is meaningless
for ChromiVNC, because it always chooses, for each update, the most
bandwidth efficient encoding [out of those allowed by the viewer]).

The upshot of all this is that if you want to view a Mac (running
ChromiVNC) from the Windows RealVNC viewer, you have to tell ChromiVNC
itself not to use CoRRE encoding at all (fortunately, ChromiVNC has
settings do this).

Of course, this means that *no* VNC connection to the Mac will be able
to use CoRRE (and if you're using VNCThing from another Mac, RRE must
also be disabled at the viewer end, which means you are only left with
hextile and raw on that viewer...)

I've never tried any other flavours of VNC viewer under Windows, so I'm
curious to know if they (Tridia/Tight/etc.) have this bug fixed?

Bye!

Adrian

(BTW: it's easy enough to see this bug when connected to a
non-ChromiVNC server by selecting CoRRE as the 'preferred' encoding in
the RealVNC viewer options - an Xvnc or, presumably, WinVNC server will
then only send CoRRE: *OUCH*!)

Addendum: v3.3.7 will fix this bug. :-)