Hi, I'm new to VNC, but after a fortnight messing with it, and having searched till my eyes ache in the archives, I need some help, please. If this message is overly long and complex, I apologise, but it seems a complex problem, or rather problems.

I have 4 networked PCs, each with a public IP, to manage remotely, and VNC seemed like a good idea. I went for TightVNC because I like the local cursor feature. The target machines are - 2 XP Pro, 2 XP Home, all with NIS 2003 installed - no port blocks and no firewall on the public side of the target machines, and they sit behind a router that has basically been disabled - it's just a pass through (no NAT). All instances of NIS have TightVNC server and viewer permitted access to the internet, and NIS's firewall has the correct IPs or handles entered in the list of trusted computers - PC1 has the IP range of the targets entered, etc.

On the managing PC (PC1) and all the target PCs, I've told NIS to open ports 5800, 5900 and 5500, and Norton has the normal browser etc. ports open - I can certainly talk with the web as one normally would do. The router that PC1 sits behind forwards ports 5500, 5800 and 5900 to PC1, which has a static IP of the 192.168.xxx.xxx variety. PC1's router (Linksys BEFSX41 firewall switch router - no firewall enabled other than NAT) sits behind a BellSouth Westell DSL modem in bridged mode (DHCP off), and the router is set up with DHCP off and PPoE enabled. I use a DynDNS handle with auto-updating for PC1's public side, and the target machines have my DynDNS handle entered as a trusted address in NIS. I always make sure my DynDNS handle IP is up to date before connecting VNC. I'm running XP Pro on the viewer PC (PC1), and can connect to the target machines OK as long as Norton Internet Security 2003 (NIS) is turned off on PC1. If PC1 has NIS enabled, TightVNC can't connect to the targets. I can turn off everything in PC1's NIS (firewall, intrusion detection - everything else, except disabling NIS Itself) and I still can't connect. If I disable NIS on PC1, I can connect OK - no problems, even with NIS enabled on the target machines. So - what is it that NIS is doing that stops a VNC connection being made? I set up another local testbed target machine connected through the router switch - the managing machine (PC1) and the testbed talk to each other as networked machines quite OK using names, or static IPs - whatever, as long as I set up NIS to allow the right name or IP through. But - try to use TightVNC between the two, and I get no connection, until I disable NIS on PC1 - then it works fine. The same is true in reverse - if I use the testbed as the viewer looking at the managing machine, if I disable NIS on the testbed, I can view and control PC1 no problems.

Since PC1 is pretty secure without NIS anyway, it's no big deal, but I just wonder what it is that NIS does on the viewer machine that stops VNC connecting. One possible clue - with the same setup (using PC1 as the viewer), if I try to view using an IE6 browser from PC1, and browse to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:5800/ (one of the target machines) I do get a VNC authentication screen, but when I type in the password, I get a "Network error: remote side closed connection" message. If I disable NIS on PC1, I can connect OK using the Java browser method.

So - Problem 1 is - What is NIS doing to stop VNC connecting? The Symantec web site is no help at all.... And I can't find a list covering NIS/remote connection issues. I only ever use the first instance of a view screen (5800/5900), but I have added 5801 and 2, 5901 and 2 as allowed ports (and forwarded those correctly in the case of the viewer (PC1) for PC1 and the targets.

Problem 2 - one of the target machines breaks the connection after a short time - can be a few minutes, can be 30 seconds or so, and there is no consistency in the state it leaves the target machine in - sometimes the machine is frozen, needing to be powered off then on; sometimes it just disconnects, but it always breaks the target machine's internet connection, and that machine has to have as a minimum ipconfig /release /renew to get back on air. The other three machines are perfectly well behaved - I can work away for hours on them if I wish. I've checked that the problem target has the same settings in NIS and TightVNC as those that have no problem. There are two things different about the target machine - it has a Logitech cordless mouse, and an LCD screen (Envision 17"). It seems like a classic case of resource sharing conflict, but I can't find anything that uses a port remotely near anything that TightVNC is said to use. Does TightVNC use ports other than those publicly disclosed, in the handshaking phase of establishing a connection, for example? That could explain a lot...

Thanks in advance for any help offered, even if it doesn't solve either problem.

Dan Ellis