I agree, security through obscurity is not security.  On the other hand,
reporting the version gives an attacker just another piece of information
that is not needed by an authorized client.

Auditing the network can be done a number of different ways now that don't
involve even connecting to the VNC server.  In fact if it is a large enough
network that I would want auditing for VNC, I would want auditing for a
number of different programs.  And again, unless everyone adds this some
versions won't give you this information, so how do you audit those?

--
William Hooper