About the only thing I can think of that vnc changes is the load on the machine and
the network connection to it. This might affect speed of opening dialog boxes and
other responses. Could your script be failing on that? To test, perhaps you could make
something that kick's off the test after 5 sec, then minimize or close the viewer
(that should remove the load).

(This might be especially so on older/slower machines)

Arnt