That's exactly right -- so if an AVI player works by directly
addressing the video card, it will not work under VNC.  When you run
the AVI player directly on the server's monitor, you see the movie
directly via the video card, bypassing the usual screen buffer.  When
you run the AVI player under VNC, VNC shows you the screen buffer, but
it has no access to the video card, so you don't see the video.

--Robert