Hey all,

I am working on an Embedded Linux Server setup. I have a mini computer with X
windows running and got the VNC server installed. I have the server boot into
Run Level 5 right now.

The whole idea is, this mini PC will be located far away from the users and
everything has to be fully automated. The application runs on the server and
users will be looking at it through VNC Viewers.

The 1st question that I have is, Is it possible for me to launch an X
application (Tcl/Tk App) on the server side with out login into the box (by a
cron job? or by the rc.local file?). In another words, if the box is
rebooted, it should come up and ready to be displayed by the VNC Viewers.

I am not sure,
        if I have to boot into run level 5 to do it?
        if I have to physically login to the box and run the X App manually?
        if I have to    get rid of the Run Level 5 password and launch startx?

I know under windows when I start the vncserver and view it from the remote
boxes, I see the actual screen activities. How do I do that with Linux.
Because under linux, if you connect to the server it gives a new desktop (it
reloads KDE from scratch, rather than showing my existing desktop). I am sure
it must be a configuration issue.

Please help me find the answers.

Thanks,
Matt