Hi,

Sorry, Fridays are a half day, so I didn't get any of the emails till this morning! I
did manage to get VNC working after I changed the
subnet to 255.255.248.0, it just took a while to 'refresh'. I think my network card is
having problems, it drops my network every now
and then, either need a new card or format and re-install windows.

I'm just reading through all the emails, learning a few things about TCP/IP that I
didn't know before, especially with Corne's post,
thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation.

Cheers for everyone's input

Ben

Triumph International Ltd
Arkwright Road, Groundwell, Swindon, SN25 5BE

Ben Blackmore
I.T. Department

Phone:      +44 (0) 1793 720126
Fax:           +44 (0) 1793 720179
Mail:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit us at: http://www.triumph-international.co.uk

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

                      "William Hooper"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      ll.org>                  cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE: VNC over different subnet
mask
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      ealvnc.com

                      20/06/2003 14:27

"Beerse, Corni" said:
> [...]
[snip]
>> Agreed.  There is still the question of why it doesn't work
>> after changing
>> the subnet mask to be the same.  It is really a TCP/IP
>> problem, not a VNC
>> one.  Waiting on the results of the ping as suggested by Dave Warren.
>
> Waiting can do a lot here, the mac-adress-tables in all machines (mostly
> routers) must be updated that the mac address has moved to a new
> ip-network.
> This most times goes automatic, specially if the changed machine has send
> some stuff over the network, like some pings to some machines in old and
> new
> network.

If the machines are on the same subnet the router is not involved.  The
only way the MAC would be an issue is if the machine were talking to each
other before the move (which it seems they weren't).  And the reboot to
change the subnet mask (assuming MS Windows) cleared out the local arp
cache anyway.  We are all just pissing in the wind until Mr. Blackmore
comes back with more info.

--
William Hooper