You make several huge errors:

1: Never, Never just set environment settings in .cshrc; donnot use `setenv`
in .cshrc without proper tests if it realy needs to be altered. you should
use .login for that. If that one is not run (because it is not used as a
login shell) then an other file (.dtlogin for CDE for example) is ther to
set environment variables. Your window manager or display manager has a
suitable file for setting environment variables. Detail: most of these files
use borne-shell syntax: `set variable=value` followed by `export variable`.

2: Never, Never hardcode the setting of $DISPLAY in a login or resource
script. If it needs to be altered, be sure you don't spoil a working value:
use decent tests around it. Be sure to check both the hostname and the
display number separatly. If bad $DISPLAY values are due to remote logins
(telnet, rsh, rlogin and such) there are suitable alternate tools (xrsh and
xon are the ones that come to mind). If the remote logon is `ssh`, that has
an even beter alternate, check the documentation for details.

Hence, your solution is NOT to set the $DISPLAY variable in the .cshrc file.
If you start `xterm -display host:24.7` then xterm will provide the proper
$DISPLAY variable. Expect that to be good.

CBee