----- Original Message -----
> Hi All,
> Let me start by saying I have just wadded through about 800 emails in the
mailing list search and tried google, so no "STFW"s please ;-)

> I am looking at using the AuthHost feature to restrict connections, but
the connections will be from machines with dynamic IPs, thus I would like to
use hostnames. First off, is this possible without an additional app such as
VNCProxy? I am aware that it is not entirely difficult to spoof hostnames,
but its still an extra layer of security that I would like to enable.

>[snip]

Hi. my home computer has a dynamic IP, and I've found a great solution for
that. There's a service at www.no-ip.com that will give you a program and it
will update your IP every 30 minutes. It hides on the tray and takes up
little memory, so thats not really a problem. So then, when you want to
access your computer, you can have vnc connect to mychosenname.no-ip.com:0
or go to mychosenname.no-ip.com:5800 for the java viewer! This has been
working for me for a few weeks, and its made it very easy.

>First off, is this possible without an additional app

I'm not sure. no-ip.com uses their little app for this. Can't help you on
this question, sorry.

--nat