Many modern Cable/DSL modems that connect over ethernet have built in
firewall/routers.  You should make sure that isn't the case here.  Just look up the
gateway IP on your parents computer and see if it has a web interface.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vinesh Patel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 11:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DSL IP address

I have been using VNC for few years now for myself between unix and Windows, but now I
have a need to expand my usage and I ran in to some problem that not sure about.

I am trying to use VNC to support my parent's computer in FL from TX.  I have a Cable
modem and am behind a router firewall.  My parents have a DSL and do not have any
router on there end.

I am running VNCserver on there PC (Windows XP).  When I attempt to log on it does not
find the remote host.  The IP address that my parents see is 192.168.x.xx.  This makes
me think they are behind a router, but I know for a fact they are not, but not sure if
DSL modem is providing this IP address.  Either way I can connect to them.

However I can have them log on my work network and I log on to my work network and the
IP address that now shows when you mouse over the VNC icon in the system tray I can
use.  With that IP address I can manage there computer, but not without it.

So after all that background my question is how can I log on there machine without
both of us having to log on to my work network.

Thank you for you help.