Lincoln A. Baxter wrote:

In connecting to a VNC server (on Linux) from a VNC viewer (on the same
machine), I have found that I cannot pass control characters to the
"remote" session. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a simple fix?

If you have a recent vncviewer, you can hit <F8> and get a list of controll codes to send. You can savely update to an new viewer, most are upwards compatible.

If updating is not an option, the tool `xkeycaps` can be handy. It can provide a virtual keyboard (you can pick your desired one) and type with your mouse.

CBee