Today at 01:40, Mike Fedyk ponderously produced:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 01:16:18AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > > I see this too, and I assume it's because RealVNC doesn't support
> > > RENDER, or one of the other extensions present in the physical X
> > > server.
> >
> > Boo! ;)
> >
> > I thought RENDER was just for 3d?
> >
> > Anyone have any idea which extention I need?

RENDER allows server-side anti-aliasing, which is what is used.

> Someone on the debian list suggested xf4vnc (http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net).
>
> I'd need to use the new software in a production environment.  Has anyone
> else tested this, what about RealVNC 4.0 beta, would it support the Render
> extention?

RealVNC 4.0beta doesn't have RENDER because they use the wrong virtual
frame buffer library (cfb). They need to rewrite some code in order to use the
correct one (fb). I asked them a few times, they don't want to.

xf4vnc does support RENDER. I can't say anything about the stability,
but so far it hasn't crashed on me. It's lacking some things RealVNC is
good at, though, as far as I can tell. Things like keyboard handling and
auto bandwidth scaling (you could use the realvnc viewer).
It does have a unique feature: if you pay, you can get a plugin that
will transport OpenGL directly.

I already took a stab at porting RealVNC to the prober framebuffer
library, and actually got it to compile without referencing the old
library, but it crashed on startup and I gave it up for now ;-)

Wout.