From: Glenn Lovitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 2:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tom Knowlton; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SPAM] - RE: router config to work with VNC - Found word(s)
remove list XXX in the Text body.

This can cause problems on these little routers since they expect to be
routers.  At a minimum you would have to disable all possible NAT and DHCP
functionality.  Even then the switching performance could be seriously
degraded since you are trying to get an OSI layer 3 device to operate solely
on a layer 2 level on the WLAN to LAN network bridge segment (a wireless
access point would have been preferred).  I am also not sure how well DHCP
from the ActionTec would work using the D-Link as a switch -- you may end up
having to assign fixed IP addresses to all your internal PCs.

Looking at the ActionTec documentation
(http://www.actiontec.com/support/broadband/1524.pdf), it may be cleaner to
let the D-Link do it's job by making the ActionTec DSL gateway be just a
modem.  You can accomplish this by changing the settings so that the modem
does "transparent bridging" per instructions in Chapter 5 Advanced Setup, page
39.  This will bypass all routing/firewall functions on the ActionTec.
Technically DSL and cable modems are NOT modem (MOdulate DEModulate) devices
at all, but transparent bridges (the device connects 2 parts of a LAN but is
not seen by either side) with protocol conversion (i.e., aDSL to Ethernet)
that operate entirely in the digital domain.  Modems are analog to digital
devices -- hence MOdulate DEModulate.  But I digress...

Connect to the D-Link wan port as you originally did.  If your ISP uses DHCP
like mine, the external address on the D-Link should automatically be set from
your ISP after a power cycle, assuming you had already specified DHCP on the
D-Link to get an IP address from the ActionTec.  If your ISP uses PPPoE, you
will have to go through the D-Link WAN setup (Chapter 5, pp 15-18) and enter
the username, password, etc.  Now the router, rather than the modem, logs in.
Either way, you will have the equivalent of a standard DSL modem with all
networking controlled by your D-Link wireless gateway router.

NAT and port forwarding should all be handled by the D-Link.  VNC setup should
work fine!

Glenn Lovitz