Dear Teng-Fong and List:

Thank you for your reply. So then my questino boils down to is there
anyway to change the screen size dynamically on a linux system which is
the server of this VNC?

As you noted below this is easy on windows, but not obvious on linux. I
am running redhat 8.0. There is a system setting called display, but
its setting corresponds to screen 0 not the current screen. Also
changing it can only be done by root and making changes results in a
message that changes were written to the XF86Config file and X display
must be restarted, which is what I'm trying to avoid on VNC.

Any suggestions?
Darren