Me ...... wrote:

Hi there....i have a couple of questions: firstly, what technical reasons are behind VNC not supporting audio (sound)?...and the second is

The reasons I can trace back to include (but are not limited to):
- Not defined in the rfb protocol
- Not implemented
- Not available on a lot of systems
- Audio consumes a lot of bandwidth to transmit (network bandwidth) or compress (cpu bandwidth).
- VNC only services a kvm-kind of service.

Keep in mind that vnc is origionally pointed at unix machines in a time most computers had only "beep" as audio.

On the other hand, there appear to be vnc-implementations that are currently implementing audio and other stuff. With that, hooking both viewer and server to the same platform (M$Windows).

does VNC support video?....because while im testing vnc on two windows machines and i played video on the server in a webcam and on the viewer i could see the video clearly so what are the problems VNC face with Video?....thaaaaaanks for any1s help.

For video, I can say that vnc IS video. However, I recognize that your question should read 'streaming video'.

VNC Does video in a verry limited way and is server-side dependent:
- Xvnc (linux, unix) handles video the way it goes, provided it can hanlde and process the video stream with the available cpu and network bandwidth. In the end, no suitable process.
- winvnc (M$Windows) handles video that is NOT using any hardware acceleration: It polls the window with video and transmits the contents it finds in the video memory. Since polling is used, the frequency is limited: many frames will be skipped between poll-s. Since hardare-accelerated video is not stored in the video memory, that is not sent.

In the end, there are other protocols that are better suited for streaming audio and video.

CBee