Ben,

As mentioned in the FAQ, all bets are off if certain Terminal Services based
features, particularly Remote Desktop or Fast User Switching are used.

In your case, I assume that you are running an application mode VNC Server
in your Terminal Services session - when you Disconnect the session, Windows
actually shuts down the graphics for it, making it impossible for VNC Server
to remote it.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.