I have found an e-mail in the archives with the EXACT same problem that we are having right now with Win VNC version 3.3.3 running on Windows 98 Second Edition. As far as I could tell, however, there were no answers to this question. Hopefully now someone will be able to help us get past this. Here is the original e-mail:

Hi, I have a peculiar problem. I cannot set WinVNC Server to accept socket connection. No matter how many times I've ticked it on. It automatically reverts back to the off state once I reopen the Properties page again. The greyed-out display number box has "98" written in it. This can be changed (to 1 for example), however reinstallation of VNC reverts the setting back to 98. All other parameters can be changed successfully. Here's what i have tried so far.

- Reinstalled WinVNC (Version 3.3.3R9 and 3.3.5)
- Deleted Program directory AND Registry Settings (deleting every references to ORL or WinVNC)
- Manually edited the SocketConnect Registry Key.
- Rebuilt the tcp/ip stack... - all this x100
The PC is running Windows 98SE. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Carl Flanagan.

It would save me a TON of time if anyone could point me in the right direction. I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!!

 Jon Herz-Midler