Is there a firewall blocking your outgoing traffic?  If not it may be a
problem with the IP address of the target system.

The theory is pretty simple; most people's systems are set up to request
'dynamic' IP addresses (and most ISPs are set up to give you 'dynamic' IP
addresses).  The IP address is assigned from a pool of addresses by the
ISP and this means that your IP address can vary (and sometimes does).  It
is almost impossible to use VNC in that environment since you are trying
to hit a moving target (the IP address).

You want to eliminate that variable.  There are several options:

1. Use 'static' IP addresses (the ISP always assigns you the same IP
address but it usually costs more)

2. If you are connecting from a remote PC to a network, you can use a VPN
on the network (effectively you are on the network)

3. If you are connecting from a remote PC to a network and you have a
router which allows it, you can use port forwarding and forward the port
to the VNC server.

4. I think there is a program which returns the IP address.  If you know
the IP address you have everything you need to use VNC.  I have not used
any such program (I use a VPN) so someone else may be able to tell you
where to look.

Alan.

Alan Watchorn
Eshelman Appraisals, Inc.