Thanks Alan for your comments. As stated I've not used anything other than
VNC and it has served me well. As I have outline for the small amount of
file transfers I need I use network neighbourhood either directly from my pc
or from the VNC'd end. Of course what is unique I guess is I work for a
reasonably large Government Department and thus my VNCing is mainly on our
side of the firewall, although do use VNC via VPN when on the otherside and
no problems.

John